Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween '08 and I turn 28!

The title of this post rhymes! Halloween is a crazy day at my house. Not only are there the usual school parties, costumes to put together, dinner to prepare before the kids stuff themselves sick- but it's my birthday as well! I never really liked birthdays as I child because I was extremely shy and hated being the center of attention. But now I love it! I feel like EVERYONE is celebrating my birthday.
The day went something like this: Breakfast, take Owen to preschool, take Jack to buy a second sword for his costume since his first one broke, stop at Albertsons to buy juice boxes for Jack's school party, pick up Owen & a friend from preschool, take them home, feed them lunch, take Jack and pick-up his friend and take them to the bus stop just in time, go to lunch with my girl-friends to celebrate my birthday and drink lots of diet coke, go back home and wake up Owen and Lucy from their naps, drag them to Jack's Halloween Party, pick-up pizzas on the way home, clean my messy house like a crazy woman before my in-laws arrive, eat dinner, open my presents, take the kids trunk-or-treating, take the kids trick-or-treating, return home and put kids to bed, rent a movie at Blockbuster to watch with my hubby and in-laws, fight to stay awake because the movie is painfully slow and boring, finally go to sleep. (Saturday was just as busy- but I'll spare you the details.)
During the trunk-or-treating, Lucy looked dumb-founded with an expression on her face like, "I am surrounded by imbecils." She'd walk backwards any time she encountered a masked person . . . which was pretty often. So I finally just scooped her up and held her. But by the time we were trick-or-treating at homes instead of car trunks, it clicked and she totally had the hang of it. She completely embraced it and would say after each house, "Neh How!" (Translation: "Next House!) She'd point her finger to the next house as Adam, her vehicle for the night, carried her from door to door.

During the trunk-or-treating Owen would examine each piece of candy before dropping it into his pumpkin pail. He'd exclaim, "Cool! Look Mama, a tootsie roll!!!" It was as though this tootsie roll was something he had never tasted or seen before, a rare gem. He did this with each candy. Fortunately it wore off by the time we began trick-or-treating at homes. I was some what exhausted of sharing his enthusiasm for skittles and starbursts. (Had they been dropping Sea's Candies into his pail, I could have definitely kept up my enthusiasm.)

And now, I present to you:

A witch, a ghost (not a member of the KKK), and Zorro . . . . . . . . . .

Here is a darling picture of Jack, at his school Halloween party:

10 comments:

AMY said...

I just love your kids, they're so cute. There's no way Owen could look KKK with those dimples.

Happy Birthday. I thought lunch was so fun - we need to do it every year!

The Hansen Clan said...

Your kids are so cute - I love the ghost costume and the expression on his face - PRICELESS!!! I hope you had a happy birthday - hopefully next year I won't have to be in three places at once so i can be there for lunch.

the landreths said...

I always think of you on Halloween! I should do more than think about it, huh :). Happy Birthday to you! I can't believe you had enough time in your day to do all you did! Your kids costumes are so cute.

jessica said...

I love the KKK ghost! So funny!

I hope you felt loved on your very hectic birthday...

Ashlee said...

Hey, Happy birthday to you. I thought of you! I loved the KKK ghost too!!

Danna said...

The kids costumes are precious! Where did you get that ghost costume? Very funny! Lu is the cutest witch I've ever seen, and Zorro is so perfect for Jack.

Amy said...

I always think of you on Halloween too! It sounds like you had a good birthday with all sorts of fun things going on. Your kiddos look great! Though I have to admit the first thing I thought was KKK for Owen too. It's that pointy hood! Your family pics look really great as well.

Ilene said...

You are so much cooler than I was at 28. Hey, you are cooler at 28 than I am at 30.

Tell me your secrets.

Ashley said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGS!! I ate at taco bell in honor of you! Love the costumes...

Shad & Amy said...

Owen does look like a lttle klookie! I love it. See you in a few days!!!